Built in 1891 to house Tontz and Hirschi hardware store. The partners were John Tontz and his nephew Emil Hirschi. The Tontz and Hirschi families came to America in the late 1840's and settled around St. Louis, Missouri. Emil operated the store in Guthrie where they sold wagons, plows, farm implements, stoves and other hardware items. The second floor housed the YMCA and St. John's Lutheran church held German language services there. Emil also operated a tin shop from the building constructing cornices.
The two-story brick building has two entrances on the first floor, each flanked by large display windows. Seven window openings span the second floor and the windows above each entrance are adorned with arches. Above each arched window is the date 1891 and decorative metal panels sit above five rectangular windows. The roofline is a painted metal cornice.
In the more recent past the building has been a restaurant and a populargathering place favored by Guthrie residents as well as tourists fromaround the state, the United States and around the world.
The Tontz and Hirschi Building
111 - 113 W. Harrison
CLICK THE COPPER POT TO GO BACK TO THE DINING PAGE