The Carnegie Library
406 E. Oklahoma / Guthrie
Corner of Oklahoma & Ash Street
On November 16, 1907, word came by wire that President Theodore Roosevelt had signed a
proclamation making Oklahoma the 46th State of the United States of America. The announcement
was relayed to the state telegraph office which was located in Guthrie, The Territorial Capital, at
9:16 am.

Dr. Hugh Scott, secretary to the Territorial Governor Frank Frantz rushed to the portico of the State
Capital Newspaper office located on Harrison and 2nd Street, and fired his pistol into the air to
signal that Oklahoma was now a State! The huge crowd awaiting this announcement then marched
to the Carnegie Library on Oklahoma Avenue to witness the beginning of their state government.
There were, by all accounts, thousands surrounding the Carnegie. Newspapers later reported
that "Even the trees were filled with men and boys",

A symbolic wedding between Miss Indian Territory and Mr. Oklahoma Territory took place
inspiring the dramatic statue commemorating the event. Charles N. Haskell was inaugurated
as the first Governor of the 46th State on the steps of the Carnegie. United State Senators
were appointed, bouquets of flowers were presented to the new Governor and a choir of
orphans sang "The Star Spangled Banner
"!
Click this Rose Rock
to go back to
the Museum Page
Click this Rose Rock
to go back to the
Event Center Page